Friday, April 25, 2014

The Little Corn That Could

I am jumping ahead a post or two to write about what I am doing presently. I promise to go back and show you more of what happened in March (all the field prepping). Right now, I am writing this post from my phone so it may be a little different but I wanted to share this experience with you today.

I have time to write as I am waiting for Josh to finish 7 passes of a field he is planting to corn and then we are on to another field.

I just helped him refill with seed and fertilizer, so he is set to finish the field. I get to wait in the truck on this nice sunny, but terribly windy day so I can follow him to the next field to fill with seed and fertilizer again. We only have two fields left after this one to plant to corn. Now some folks may be thinking we are getting done early as they are just now starting to plant or won't until next week or so. But really for us, we should be finished right now like in past years. This year, however, we unfortunately have not had much rain and the fields were very dry causing the planter some issues trying to get through the tough ground. Yesterday, we were lucky enough to get a quarter of an inch of rain and that softened the ground enough to hopefully finish these fields. In our fields we did manage to get planted before it got cold, froze again, snowed and then no rain, have precious little corn plants starting to come up and see the world. Here are some pictures of Josh putting the fertilizer and seed into the planter and then the cute little corn plants coming up.

Happy Planting,


The Milkmaid

No comments:

Post a Comment